3/20 – Review of run-on sentence:
• Run-on sentence has multiple ideas expressed incoherently due to independent clauses not properly being separated or joined.
• Ex: She wants a dog he wants a cat. RUN-ON – TWO INDEPENDENT CLAUSES THAT ARE NOT CONNECTED BY A COMMA AND A COORDINATING CONJUNCTION OR SEPARATED BY A PERIOD.
• To correct, either add appropriate comma and coordinating conjunction OR add a period and create two separate sentences as opposed to one compound sentence.
• Comma splice: when a comma by itself is used in the place of a period – a COMMA by itself will never be used to join independent clauses: He did not complete his homework, he was unprepared. FIX BY ADDING A COORDINATING CONJUNCTION AFTER COMMA OR BY REPLACING IT W/ A PERIOD.
• Homework: Study for quiz on periods + run-on sentences.
Sixth Grade Homework
1 post • Page 1 of 1