Copy the following underneath your notes from today:
• The way an author describes a character, whether it be his/her physical appearance, feelings/thoughts, or actions.
Direct characterization (via 'Read, Write, Think'):
• Tells the audience what the personality (physical/emotional) personality of the character is.
• This involves physical descript. of char. (hair color, body type, facial expression) + adjectives like “patient” and “quiet” that describe the char. personality
Indirect characterization (entails interpretation of what is implied by author):
• Speech – What does the character say and how does that reflect on him?
• Thoughts – What does the character think/feel?
• Effect on others – How do the character’s words/actions affect others?
• Actions – What does the character do?
• Looks – How does the character dress/express himself with appearance?
Then, do the following:
Characterize the following (provide one direct and one indirect characterization/character – bulleted words/phrases - and be prepared to explain each in class – USE THE BOOK - and leave some space between each so you can add characterizations tomorrow):
• Jack Will
Sixth Grade Homework
1 post • Page 1 of 1